Thursday, September 20, 2012

Good and Bad Examples of Design

Bad Design



1.)  Door at Mugwalls

This is a door at Mugwalls, that from here, you pull to open. It has a bar which tapers out. This is culturally, a given symbol FOR PUSH. Studying outside this door for about two hours, at least 6 kids pushed this and hit the door. This is a example of bad mapping, and this door is the end all, be all of bad door design.

2.) Giant Mac


    The computer science department at TAMU has decided to replace the perfectly good cavalcade of windows computers in the Bright labs with a handful of gigantic macs. I hate these 22 inch monstrosities. The problem with them is that they're so aesthetically designed that they fail to meet the basic expectations I have in a desktop computer. For example, the power button is behind the monitor on the bottom right. It's black and blends in with everything else, there's no ridges or grooves to indicate where it is, and it's tiny, it's no bigger than the pad of my pinky finger. What good is a computer that you can't even turn on? This breaks the aesthetic over design rule.

3.)  Playstation 3

     I think the Playstation 3 is a good example of poor design. The problem with the ps3 is that it has some inherently bad design choices and that after 5-6 re releases they haven't changed any of them. /my least favorite design choice is it's shape. It's some weird ellipsoid. You can't lay it on it's side, and you can't rest your controllers on it. Also it has a power button hidden on the back, which has to be turned on seperatly from the rest of the system. It's unneccesary and inconvinient. 

4.)  Keyboard Remote


This is how I have to operate my TV. TV remotes have be one of the most standardized devices of all times but every now and then you get a bombshell which has to break all the rules. Half of the keys aren't even used. Devices like this only lead to frustration and a an example of bad design.


5.) My Corner Shelf
 
 My corner shelf sucks because if you put any weight on the edge of a shelf, the whole entire thing tips over. It's almost beyond usability! All they'd need to fix this is a fourth leg, such a obvious fix, such an obvious flaw.

Good Design

1.) Newspaper dispenser



I like the simple design choices here. It's shaped like a house so rain slides off. And the door only goes outward, so Wind cannot open it and mess everything up.

2.) Recycling Bins

I like the good example of physical constraints in this recycling bin. The bin on the left has a round hole, so only bottles fit in. The bin on the right is designed for paper, so it has a very thin and wide slot. The trash bin in the middle has a pull slot, so if your about to throw away a recyclable product, you have time to look at the bin and reconsider. By opening the lid, it breaks your actions.

3.) Coffee Bean Grinder

This has a nice physical constraint, the button that you press to use it is attached to the lid. So the only way you can use it is with the lid on, so it's impossible for someone to blend their fingers off.

4.) The Nintendo 64



 The design of the Nintendo 64 is awesome! All the ports are completely different size and shapes, there's no memorization involved in it's setup. And it's difficult to forget to turn off the machine before you take out the cartridge because the power switch is directly in front of the cartridge. This always is true because the Nintendo always faces a certain way towards you because of the controller ports.

5.) My Triax Fury Watch

All the buttons are labeled, the interface on this is fantastic! The watched has been designed such that it constantly gives me cues on how to use it. For example, when using the stopwatch mode, it'll flash at the start/stop button so that I know how to stop the count.

13 comments:

  1. I love the MugWalls door example. I am literally staring at it right now! Now all I can focus on is people failing at using the door. Poor design indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Mike - I don't know how anyone could think that a PUSH bar would make a good design choice for the pulling side of a door. It simply baffles the mind. I would argue that some of your arguments for bad/good design could be made for the opposing side as well. I, for example, personally like the Mac's power button where it is, and as much as I like N64, I recall taking out the cartridges without turning off the console a number of times simply because it was easier (though bad for the system).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great example of good design with the recycling and trash bins. The constraints and forced actions the bins present do help people recycle more and correctly. Overall good examples, however some of them could have had more explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were some great examples. You might want to include some terms from the book like mapping, affordance, constraints, ect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on all your examples except for the iMac. I believe the reason Apple didn't put the power button on the front was so that users wouldn't confuse it with simply a display on/off button. Putting it on the back with the other ports matches the traditional layout of most modern computers. Before you call me out as a Apple fanboy, I will tell you that overall, I think that the iMac IS a "monstrosity" and Apple needs a redesign for this model. Overall, I found your examples to be great, but lacking the depth that was called for in the assignment. I enjoyed reading all your reactions. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've walked by the recycling bins pretty much everyday on campus and never noticed their design. That was a good example. Your examples were good because they were things that you, yourself, have experienced before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gave good summaries of each chapter; however, I believe the assignment asked mainly for your reaction rather than a summary. It would have been great to have heard your reflections on the book’s ideas rather than just how the book made you feel. For your examples, it would have been useful if you commented on each good/bad design using more concepts from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your reactions to be somewhat lacking. You gave more summary, and less reaction so I didn't really get a feel for why you felt certain ways sometimes. I do like all of your design choices, especially the newspaper dispenser, such a simple yet easy to use design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been able to type anything coherent on those keyboard remotes, they're extremely frustating.

    Overall, great examples, although I have to agree with Hunter with regard to the iMac.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your examples of good and bad design. I have one of those keyboard remotes as well, except that mine has a normal remote on the opposite side. Thank goodness because I never use the keyboard side. At first I was a little confused by your placement of the PS3 and Nintendo 64, but you had great justifications for your opinion of their design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the examples but I wish you went more in depth in them

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your examples of bad design, especially the example of Door at Mugwalls. It is really hard to understand why you should pull the door instead of pushing it with a bar on the door. That is really a bad design. And it is good that you even did the user-experience analysis--" Studying outside this door for about two hours, at least 6 kids pushed this and hit the door."! Good job! For your reactions, I think you should have more reactions and not just going through the points in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job on your summaries! I liked the structure you laid out when you gave your own experiences and thought it was well written overall. Didn't lack detail.

    Although I disagree with the n64 and watch, I really liked the others. Most things on here are subjective. :/

    Great Job.

    ReplyDelete